Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Character Connection #2: Nancy Drew
















This is a meme from The Introverted Reader. Basically, every Thursday we highlight a character we love in fiction. Last week I picked Jane of Pride and Prejudice fame and this week, I am picking another classic character who has spanned the generations: Nancy Drew.


Nancy Drew has been around for something like 80 years and still hasn't aged a day. (Lucky her!) Why do I love her and her many incarnations? Because! Because everyone likes a smart, intelligent, quick-on-her-feet heroine. She's not one of those who stumbles around blindly wondering what she needs to do, she springs into action and just takes charge of the situtation. She has stared down mobsters, international drug lords, kidnappers, murderers and any other type of n'er-do-well you can think of without flinching. My favorite Nancy is from of course the original Grosset and Dunlap yellow book versions but in high school I also had a really big infatuation with the Nancy Drew on Campus books. Nancy in college, dealing with mystery but also dating, relationships, mean roommates ... That was bliss for me and to this day, I love those books for escapist literature even more than Sweet Valley High and its many spin-offs. Come on, how can you not love a series where prudy George loses her "V card"? (lol I hate that phrase, not sure why I used it either lol)


For all of Nancy's many twists and turns, she is forever the girl I'd love to be. When I'm eighty, I hope I look half as good!

8 comments:

  1. I have to confess that I hated mysteries when I was a kid and so never really read any Nancy Drew. I do have the game Nancy Drew and the Phantom of Venice on my computer waiting to be played, does that count? :) My mother-in-law loves Nancy though. Her oldest son is a ceramic artist and made her a Nancy Drew-themed platter that is on permanent display in her open kitchen. I like your pictures of Nancy through the years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mum bought me a series of Nancy Drew books when I turned 13 and I loved reading them. It's one of those books I associate most with my early teenage years. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read an Nancy Drew books, I don't think they were popular in the Netherlands as I can't remember ever running across them in the library. They do sound cool though

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved, loved, loved the Nancy Drew books when I was younger, though I have to admit that I haven't seen/read any of the latest stuff.

    Cool meme!

    ReplyDelete
  5. +JMJ+

    I also grew up with Nancy Drew, thanks to my mother's collection of Grosset and Dunlap editions. =) I had trouble getting into the Nancy Drew Files, though, because they gave me continuity issues. =P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of these books, but as a child I enjoyed the mystery novels about three young investigators. I believe one of them was called Jupiter..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admit to never reading a Nancy Drew but I always think that I should. I love people that are do-ers and don't wait around for solutions to fall in their laps. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for choosing Nancy Drew! I was a huge fan of both Nancy and the Hardy Boys in my teems, and this post brings back very fond memories!

    I didn't read your post from last week, I think Jen mentioned there was a way of getting to it - I'll check it out. I love Jane Bennett too!

    ReplyDelete