Monday, May 10, 2010

REVIEW: Vampire Kisses by Ellen Schreiber



Vampire Kisses
by Ellen Schreiber
Summary: In her small town, dubbed "Dullsville," sixteen-year-old Raven -- a vampire-crazed goth-girl -- is an outcast. But not for long...

The intriguing and rumored-to-be haunted mansion on top of Benson Hill has stood vacant and boarded-up for years. That is, until its mysteriously strange new occupants move in. Who are these creepy people -- especially the handsome, dark, and elusive Alexander Sterling? Or rather, what are they? Could the town prattle actually ring true? Are they vampires? Raven, who secretly covets a vampire kiss, both at the risk of her own mortality and Alexander's loving trust, is dying to uncover the truth.
My Review: Vampire Kisses ended up being a lot different than I thought it would be. I hoped for something a little less slapsticky and more serious in tone but it was a fun book never the less. It was almost like a parody of vampire stories rather than an actual vampire story itself if that makes sense. The characters were pretty standard and a bit stereotypical, especially the boy Raven coveted. He was gorgeous and mysterious and deep but not that deep that he was original or brooding and intense.
I liked Raven for the most part although sometimes she could be annoying. Still, she's a teenager and most act out and have eccentricities so it was understandable. The character I most related to was Becky, Raven's best friend. I really liked her quiet but strong protectiveness of Raven, her willingness to go along with Raven's crazy schemes just because Raven asked her to. We all need a best friend like that. The last three chapters were really well-done I have to say.
I have the next two books in the series so I will definitely be reading them soon. I just hope they are bit more impressive than this first outing was. I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars overall.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review - this sounds good but probably not a must read for me.

    ReplyDelete