Friday, May 7, 2010

REVIEW: Vampire Diaries Bk 1: The Awakening


I just read The Awakening by L.J. Smith - which is the first book in the Vampire Diaries series - and I must say, overall it was great! Really great. It moved fast, it was tautly written, had a well-developed plot, and was just a quick and fun read. Its very different from the TV show which I like as well. The main problem I had with this book was the main character, Elena. In the TV series, Nina Dobrev plays her sweet and charming and like the All-American girl next door type. In the book, Elena is written to be a royal, hardcore bitch and a half! You get that from paragraph one. The world revolves around her and its annoying. The most annoying thing is that she declares early on that she will "have" Stefan Salvatore no matter what and plays dumb games to get his attention. If I was Stefan, I would have run screaming the other way no matter how pretty and blonde and perfect she looked. Yuck! Elena should die. She out does Bella Swan's self-involved routine by leaps and bounds. That said, I am planning to read the next book so she can't be as horrible as to impede my reading the rest of the series lol
Overall, I give the book 4/5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment